Friday, June 12, 2009

helping out the Didelphidae Family


A little over a week ago I was sitting out on my balcony when I saw one of the apartment complex employees (Jennifer) holding a box and staring under a bush. I asked her what was going on and she told me they had found a baby opossum. I went down to see if I could help, and she wasn't kidding when she said baby. It was probably only 4.5 inches long (not including the tail). The little guy was all alone, it was the middle of a hot day, and the sun was beating down on this bush. Jennifer said would take it to a nearby wildlife sanctuary where it would be cared for until it was older - if we could get it in the box. The opossum was (obviously) freaked out, kept hissing at us, and retreated further into the bushes. Finally though, the baby backed up next to the building so I jumped into the bushes, set the box on the ground, and guided him in there by grabbing some nearby twigs and using the "chopstick method." Success! One saved opossum. Good luck, little buddy.

3 comments:

  1. I hope he/she's alright...even though I wouldn't have gone near it. I would have ran in the other direction; it looks too much like a rat! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. then you probably don't want to hold one of my gerbils then? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're sure you didn't just throw your garbage at it?? ha ha ha.... You're my freakin favorite, Laura. This blog kills me. Ow!
    ~Brooke

    ReplyDelete