Monday, June 29, 2009

back in the swim of things...

For those of you that have never tried swimming for exercise or a tough workout, you should. (Cathy can attest to that) I swam all through high school and for 2 years in college in a masters program, but it's been a while since I've been a pool regular. I've been riding my bike fairly often as of late, normally in half-hour increments. I'll usually burn around 300 calories and keep my heart rate in the 150s while I ride, but never feel exhausted or that I am working extremely hard.

But I jumped in the pool on Saturday and swam 1,000 meters - which took 30 minutes as well and I burned about the same amount of calories. But the amount of effort and work that it took to get through that half hour was significantly more than the bike ride. When I got home I collapsed on the sofa and fell asleep during the crosstown game. It took a lot out of me.

I know that swimming is a great workout for the arms and core, and of course once I get used to it again it'll seem easier, but all I was thinking during was "please just let this be over with." And.... I'm not sure that will be a great motivator for me..... but I think I'm willing to try it a few more times and see how I feel, and see if I can't get back into the swing, er - swim of it.

2 comments:

  1. I really should do some swimming, but it is soo hard! And my hair....I need to find a good swim cap. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will definately get easier the more you do it. Remember freshman year and how Mr. Kasper would almost have to drag us out of the pool? I think I'm a better swimming now than I was in high school.

    Cat

    ReplyDelete